On Saturday, September 7, the Immigrant Justice Team at Davies Unitarian Universalist Congregation will host a field trip to the The Phillips Collection exhibit “The Warmth of Other Suns,” which focuses on global immigration and migrant flows. The Team invites anyone interested in learning more about human migration to view the exhibit and discuss their reactions at lunch in the Phillips Cafeteria. Reservations can be made HERE or on a sign-up sheet in the Davies lounge. A full itinerary can be found below.
At its last meeting the Immigrant Justice Team agreed on seven goals:
- Provide educational opportunities to broaden the congregation’s knowledge about immigration policies and issues;
- Engage the congregation in activities that support the work of the PG County Cluster group of the Congregation Action Network (CAN);
- Support worship services that have immigration justice as the sermon topic;
- Request that the Worship Committee and Board select the PGC Cluster group of CAN as one of the monthly recipients of Davies’ special collections;
- Collect and report on data re: involvement of congregation members in immigrant justice activities;
- Create a calendar of protests and a cache of signs;
- Support lobbying by Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice and the Congregation Action Network.
Field Trip Itinerary, September 7:
- (optional) 9:15 AM – Meet at Branch Ave Metro Station to travel to muse- um. The Phillips is approximately a quarter mile on foot from Dupont Circle Metro Station’s Q Street exit.
- 10:30 AM – Meet at The Phillips Collection (1600 21st Street NW Wash- ington DC) to buy tickets. Everyone will buy tickets individually. Ticket prices are $12 for 19-61 years old, $10 for people 62+ or students, and $0 for those 18 and under.
- 11:00 AM – 15 minute introduction to “The Warmth Of Other Suns: Stories of Global Displacement” by a docent.
- 11:15 AM – 12:45 pm. Explore “The Warmth of Other Suns” individually or in groups.
- 1 PM – Gather in the Phillips café to eat and discuss the exhibit. The café serves sandwiches, salads, and baked goods in the $5-10 range, along with coffee and limited alcohol.